I actually don't find this too difficult. I took a look back at my year this year and can honestly say that all new fabric was for either a commissioned quilt, backing, or a planned project. I bought four destashes and a few small bundles to beef up my fat quarter collection for bee quilts.
GOALS: (Taken from the original rules)
- To use the Stash I already have!
- Finish UFOs without distraction by shifting to other new beautiful fabric.
- Stop the insanity of constantly buying the latest and greatest fabric.
- Save the $$ I spend on stashing. MY EDIT: Use the money I save to purchase more tools and accessories for my longarm. LONG TERM GOAL: Computer for my long arm.
- Destash the fabrics that I realize I am never going to use.
FABRIC FAST RULES:
1) No fabric purchases for 6 months beginning January 1, 2014.
2) At 6 months reevaluate status and decide whether to keep going for full year. Evaluation July 1, 2014.
3) Create a UFO list and complete them!
- Backing: purchasing a backing to finish a quilt top is permissible. However, attempting to use fabric in your possession for a backing is preferable.
- Books and Magazine purchases are allowed as they are not fabric. Notions acceptable too.
Swap Mama Fabric: if hosting a swap you are permitted to by fabric to execute swap duties, but you may not join a swap simply for the sake of being able to buy fabric!
- MY EDIT: No swap fabric, but this is my "just in case" clause. Background fabric. Like backings, I know I do not have the yardage for some patterns in my future this year!
- Quilts for Publication: if you are making a quilt for a publication and need certain fabric to execute it correctly then that is a major exception - who can blame you?
And I will admit, I am going to see what I can get my hands on during Black Friday.
Otherwise, my pledge might start sooner than January.
Yes, I'm on board too. I've been quilting for over 3 decades and well, I can go quite a while without buying anything new. I emailed you about inbox email following of your blog.ReplyDelete
I'm really considering hopping on board too. I'm reading the posts of those who joined in to be encouraged! =)ReplyDelete
you are already incredibly disciplined! good for you for choosing to continue. =) your stash has already produced some pretty remarkable quilts. it's a great example to the rest of us!ReplyDelete
I've officially jumped on board, and I'm rather excited!ReplyDelete
You are inspiring!! I love your mantra of not doing what everyone else does :). I've been quilting nearly 20 years too, so I am sure I can go fabric purchase free without making a dent....ReplyDelete
I like your motto of not having to do what everyone else does. I don't know when I became such a follower! I'm joining in for at least 6 months, but I'd like to go the whole year without buying fabric. I can't wait to see what you make this year!ReplyDelete
Hello Heidi - I too have pledged to forego my favourite occupation of buying fabric!! Must admit I put in a few orders before the end of December - just in case! Hopefully we can all offer support to one another if we feel we are in danger of "falling off the wagon".ReplyDelete